Thursday, March 28, 2013

Splenda Nectresse Part I

Influenster was kind enough to provide me with a complementary large (140 serving) sample of Splenda's new Nectresse all natural sweetener a couple of weeks ago and today I finally gave it a try.  The facts, Nectresse is made from monk fruit had 1 g of carbs and nothing else...seriously, take a look:


This taste test was really born out of necessity because I had the world's worst headache this morning that only caffeine could tame (this is what happens when your toddler bites you and then screams from the time out chair as though he was in fact the one who had been bitten).   We have a Mr Coffee machine that uses k-cups but when I looked in the cup drawer the only nonfroufy coffee drink I could find was Green Mountain's Dark Magic, something my husband purchased for his dark soul.


I usually take cream and sugar in my coffee as it is so I knew I would need something sweet for Dark Magic.  I drive the husband crazy with my love of Splenda in coffee, real sugar just isn't sweet enough for me, so once the coffee was brewed I cracked open the Nectresse.  First of all it has kind of an odd color and smell.  I thought maybe I just haven't smelled sugar in a while so I gave the real stuff a whiff too but it only confirmed the odd odor of the new stuff.

The smell is ... odd

checking the real sugar...not odd.

a color comparison
 Regardless of oddity I decided to go ahead and hit my evil brew with a couple of spoonfuls of the Nectresse (about half what I would normally use of Splenda).

me no like
Thinking I had just used too much I added a little milk to the concoction.

yeah it got worse
At this point I gave up on the coffee


And grabbed the only source of caffeine that I knew would make it all better...


Final Verdict:  In the words of my toddler "yuck."  Even better, in the words of Pedro Pony "It tastes of carpet flavored yogurt."

Since it is entirely possible that my negative feelings for this product have resulted from user error I have decided to give it a second chance.  Tomorrow I will be making a recipe for Pumpkin Walnut pancakes that came with this free sample.  Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?